Sunday, May 3, 2015

What to Pack in your Hospital Bag

When I was preparing myself for Gman's arrival, I found a lot of other blogs to be helpful with things like what to take to the hospital. I appreciated the mama's point of view about what is really necessary and what can be left behind. I compiled a list myself that I have shared with friends through text and email and I thought I would post it here as well. 

Camera with Batteries and Charger - you will want photos on something more than your phone.
Slippers/Socks/Flip-Flops - Depending on the time of year, you can choose what you would be most comfortable in. Hospitals are clean, but everyone's shoes walking in and out of your room are not. 
Nursing Bras (2) - I prefer the sports bra type in the beginning. Way more comfortable than the others.
Nursing Tanks (2) - When you are full, it is necessary to double up!
Nursing Pads (4 Pairs) - Depending on your body and your length of stay, it is possible your milk will come in while you are at the hospital. 
Granny Panties - the hospital will give you some mesh ones, but I hated them and wanted some sort of normalcy back in my life. I usually buy some relative cheap, dark colored ones that can be thrown away. 
PJ's - Be mindful of night/day sweats and make sure you won't get too hot. I am not a nightgown type of person so I wasn't really interested in wearing a hospital gown any longer than I had to.
Bathrobe - You know those hospital gowns open in the back...you don't want to be THAT lady.
Going Home Outfit - Loose, flowy, maternity clothes. Don't even attempt pre-pregnancy clothing unless you want to cry over something else. 
Chapstick - Something about Labor makes your lips dry.
All of the obvious toiletries - Again, you don't want to be THAT lady that doesn't shower while she is in the hospital. Ew
Phone Charger - because that thing will be blowing up!
Pillow(s) - Depending on how you have been sleeping, it might be nice to have some comfort of home. I took my body pillow
Boppy - If you are planning on nursing, this is a MUST!

FOR HIM
Comfy clothes - you can turn down the ac when you are sweating to be comfortable, so he should be prepared to bundle up.
Obvious Toiletries
Phone Charger
Snacks - You'll be happy you have them, but don't think about eating them in front of your wife while she is in labor. 

DIAPER BAG
Going Home Outfits (2) - if you are like me, you will need a boy and girl outfit.
Socks
Pacifiers - some hospitals won't give you one due to nipple confusion. I liked having one for comfort and because we had an extended stay
Blanket
Plenty of space to stick all of the diapers, wipes, lanolin, pads, and goodies you have already paid for.

RANDOM TIPS
Make sure your car seat is installed properly (duh!)
Pack your breast pump if you are nursing
Abide by the hospital's visiting hours. You need your rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment